Since March, days after Covid-19's notification, a total of 24 supporting foundations of universities and federal institutes have created campaigns and 22 emergency funds to raise private resources to fight the pandemic. The aim is to help supported institutions to fight the coronavirus, especially those that have university hospitals, either for the purchase of personal protective equipment (PPE), such as hand sanitizers, masks and hospital supplies, or to support research projects in several areas.
The most recent actions are those carried out by the Foundation for Supporting the Federal University of Technology of Paraná (FUNTEF) and the Research and Extension Supporting Foundation of Sergipe (Fapese).
So far, the 25 foundations have raised more than R$ 250 million, in total, for university hospitals to fight the pandemic, according to a survey by the National Council of Foundations for Supporting Higher Education and Scientific and Technological Research Institutions (CONFIES). The Council brings together 88 affiliated institutions that support more than 130 institutions including universities, federal institutes and federal research institutions.
“Private donation funds have been an innovative and valuable response to strengthen the capacity to act against Covid-19 based on science and technology”, says CONFIES President Fernando Peregrino.
See below the foundations that have created emergency funds for supported public universities to fight the coronavirus, in each region of Brazil:
1. COPPETEC/UFRJ Foundation
2. FIOTEC (Foundation for Scientific and Technological Development in Health)/ FIOCRUZ
3. José Bonifácio University Foundation/ Federal University of Rio de Janeiro (UFRJ)
4. Fundunesp, a foundation linked to Unesp (Universidade Estadual Paulista)
5. FUSP/University of São Paulo (USP)
6. Fundep Foundation/ Federal University of Minas Gerais (UFMG)
7. FADEPE/ Federal University of Juiz de Fora (UFJF)
8. FAU/ Federal University of Uberlândia (UFU)
9. FUNTEF/ Federal University of Technology of Paraná (UTFPR) and the Federal Institute for Education, Science and Technology of Paraná (IFPR)
10. Funpar/ Federal University of Paraná (UFPR)
11. Fundmed Foundation, linked to the Federal University of Health Sciences of Porto Alegre (UFCSPA)
12. Fundmed, in support to the Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul (UFRGS)
13. FEEng/ Federal Institute of Rio Grande do Sul (IFRS)
14. FATEC/ UFSM (Federal University of Santa Maria)
15. FDMS/Federal University of Pelotas (UFPel)
16. FEESC/ Federal University of Santa Catarina (UFSC)
17. Finatec/ University of Brasília (UnB)
18. Uniselva Foundation/ Federal University of Mato Grosso (UFMT)
19. FGD/ Federal University of the Semi-Arid Region (UFERSA)
20. Fapese/ Federal University of Sergipe
21. Coronavirus Piauí Supporting Foundation – FADEX
22. Josué Montello Foundation/ Federal University of Maranhão (UFMA)
23. Sousandrade Foundation/ UFMA
24. FAPEX/ Federal University of Bahia Foundation (UFBA)
25. FADE/ Federal University of Pernambuco (UFPE)